Friday, July 31, 2015

Last day of plein air painting at the Olana event 2015

....and SOLD to the bidder over there!....
This post is a bit late, but better late than never. About three weeks ago on July 11th all the participating 30 Artists at Olana got ready to turn in their plain air paintings framed in prep for the viewing before the auction. A lovely cocktail hour takes place and then it is time to be seated….here is the painting I did that went up for auction. See the spot where I painted from and the warmup sketch too. I thought I would show my new makeshift easel that worked better than the professional one that I have, which I  never like using because it’s so unsteady. The following day for the first time during the plein air event we had a tent sale, which was very successful. It brought back buyers from the night before as well as others. As painters, we all have loads of paintings to sell and this was a great opportunity to do just that. I was fortunate to make some additional sales of local landscapes as well as some of my recent botanical paintings. It was a successful venture and I think we would all like to have two days of selling in the tent next year and not do the auction! Ha! I say that because quite a few paintings were passed over and did not sell due to not meeting the minimum reserve price. Good ones too! That is very disappointing for the artist who spent so many hours in the heat painting their masterpiece. See post below for more about the Olana Plein Air event.

A fuzzy shot of the final framed painting approx 20x28"
watercolor + white gouache on Kraft color Stonehenge paper





painting on site in front of the Moorish castle


this was my warmup sketch

here you can get a glimpse of my makeshift easel
 which is actually a painting display rack

Click to like and follow my Facebook page

1 comment:

ART-TRAVELLER said...

Very beautiful painting and very interesting art blog !!!
Have a nice and creative week !!!