Thursday, December 17, 2009

12 Days of FAVE ARTists (countdown): Tilly Strauss

Tilly Strauss is a Daily Painter who truly follows her Muse - like no other, in my humble opinion. Sometimes you can feel the pain and cry. Sometimes, alot of times you go on her journey as she leads the way with her maps. That is what drew me into her ART, the heart I felt and the emotion in her imagery. I know Tilly a little bit. We met because we are in close proximity and have participated in each other's local Art worlds. Tilly curated me into a fantastic show last February, called "FOR THE LOVE OF ART", in Peekskill, NY at the Hat Factory. I have curated her into my local Hudson Artswalk events the past couple of years, where she has shown her paintings at our local ice-cream parlor, "LICK"- below...

and currently in Winter Walk Windows where she did two windows based on the 12 Days of Christmas theme. She specializes in birds, so- 3 French Hens + 4 Calling Birds were brilliantly executed with cleverness and craft. It was 4 Calling Birds that won the prize for best interpretation of the theme. I hope you can see it clearly below....



WHen you travel with Tilly into her paintings and collages, the symbolism is a treasure hunt to inner meanings that you may also resonate with. I do. The maps, the interwoven newspaper headline messages, the hearts, the roads, the distance, the path, the blood, the red, the everyday domestic items take on spiritual meaning and cause one to pause.





Thanks Tilly for showing me inner beauty in the ordinary.

1 comment:

Showing up for the Muse said...

thank you. I like the pairings you picked out- new way of framing the work for me. thanks- tilly