Friday, November 27, 2009

Nude #762 - original watercolor nude by Gretchen Kelly


SOLD to a collector in Virginia.

11"x17" watercolor, gouache, pastel, graphite on paper

The gesture in this pose is particularly dramatic and when I can capture this kind thing in a quick pose of 10 minutes, I am pleased. It is the essence of what gesture painting/sketching is all about. I always start with a big old scratchy brush. The more battered the brush, the better I like it. It is the first of the gesture that goes down with the white gouache. I paint in wide fast strokes what the feeling of the gesture is. Then define the darkest accents. I look for what is warm, then what is hot and heated. Then what is cool. Then I want to define with beautiful lines and marks. It's a symphony that comes together in the end. I am never trying to be precise or accurate, it is about the beauty which is held in that 10 minute moment of a pose. I love doing that over and over......

No comments: