Sunday, August 16, 2009

Water Goddess 1 - original watercolor by Gretchen Kelly


12" x 16" - watercolor on paper

This is the beginning of my studies for several new series of Goddess paintings. I went with my lovely muse to Taconic Lake to paint her in the water nude. We went early before anyone else was there and found the perfect spot to capture the kind of reflections that I was looking for. I did several paintings that I will show in coming days and snapped some great pics too. These paintings are to exercise new gesture strokes and aspects of nature that tie into the paintings that will be the more finished ones that I do later. As a painter that works with live models and nudes, I have innate strokes that have all been indoors. These outdoor poses require some practice on my part to get the fluidity and the new language or water into my brushstrokes. It feels really good to be doing this in the heat of the summer. We finally have some sunny, hot days. I wasn't able to do this prior to last week.

to purchase: EMAIL ME!