Friday, July 24, 2009

Nude #667- original watercolor nude by Gretchen Kelly


9.5"x 12.5"- watercolor, gouache, graphite on paper -SOLD
This is from a 5 minute pose. It is the kind of quick gesture painting that has become my signature. If I was to put together some of my 5 + 10 minute pose paintings in a group, that would show where much of my strength lies. It is in capturing gesture with the bold brushstrokes and limited color, and graphite lines that define musculature. The nuances of the watercolor, which bleeds and blends on its own in and out of the intended line, shows the swift time frame in which I work. I love doing short poses and being constrained by the clock. It forces me to simplify and take action, not to mention I produce lots of work.

1 comment:

loriann said...

Just checking in to see the beautiful work you have been creating. I especially like the flow of this one and how little paint you applied to make it. Always a pleasure to visit!