Monday, December 31, 2007

Red barns + 3 silos - 7.5"x22" - watercolor, graphite + encaustic wax on paper

It is never ending, the different ways that I can compose the space and render the different aspects of this scene. Today I have used the encaustic wax to create the snow and it really gives the texture of it in a subtle way. The fence is rendered with carving into the wax surface and it is impressionistic. The trees are lacey graphite filigree over the silhouettes of watercolor. I am using tons of white on top + bottom to hold the center in focus.

2 comments:

Carol Nelson said...

Gretchen, I love your red barn in winter series. Such great composition, they just grab you eye.

GK said...

Carol,
I am obsessed with Red in the landscape as I drive around looking for it daily. I am glad you like this series.
GK