Saturday, October 06, 2007

Nude #289- 12"x16"- watercolor, gouache, pastel & graphite on paper




Even though I love to add pattern to my backgrounds, I also love what a bold solid block of color does for a painting. The red that I put in the background also does a funny trick with the red in her hair. It flattens the painting. It also creates a one-ness with the model. At first I was not sure if I would add in a pattern over the red or not, so I stared at it for a few days. Now I've decided that I like the simple boldness of RED in big areas. I have always loved Matisse's "Red Studio", which coincidently, a friend of mine mentions on yesterday's comments to my blog.

2 comments:

Trine said...

You did right. It is the boldness and spare use of details and numbers of colours that gives the strength to your work. It is that which makes me feel that you portrait real women every time.

I love how you show real shapes too. You show women I would like to get to know. Women who have lives lives.

GK said...

Thanks Trine.
As a matter of fact I do get to know some of these models and receive compliments from them as well that they approve of the way I render them. I do try to portray what is real about these muses. It is my hope that in my painting, not just a nude is revealed but a part of their real human-ness and mine as well, eeks out of the page into the mind of the viewer.
GK